It’s strawberry season! And you know what I do after picking some delicious strawberries? I make cake! This is the perfect addition to any summer get together or just because. Who needs an occasion for a good cake, right?
- 8” round spring form cake pan
- parchment paper
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 lb strawberries
- 1 lb strawberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
Let’s start baking!
- Pre-heat your oven to 350° F
- Trace the bottom of your cake pan onto a piece of parchment paper, cut and place inside the pan. Lightly brush some oil on the sides of the pan and set aside
- Dice up half of your strawberries for the filling, and cut the other half into slices (or however you’d like for decorating the top of the cake). Set aside.
- Using an electric cake mixer, beat the eggs, vanilla, vinegar and salt for about 3 minutes.
- Add the sugar and keep mixing on high speed for about 5 more minutes or until the mixture is creamy/foamy. Then add the oil.
- Sift the flour and baking powder and add to the egg mixture.
- Pour the milk and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Bake in the middle rack for about 30-35 min or until the cake is golden. (Stick a toothpick or knife to check if the cake is ready, the toothpick/blade should come out clean.)
- Let the cake completely cool on a cooling rack.
While the cake is baking make the strawberry compote and whipped cream.
- Roughly chop your strawberries and combine them with the sugar in a saucepan.
- Cook them over medium-low heat, and stir occasionally. The juices from the berries will start to form a syrup. Try to mash some of the strawberries to help with this process. Keep doing this for about 10-15 minutes.
- If you feel like the sauce is too thick, mix in some water.
- Store any extra sauce after you’ve completed your cake in the refrigerator.
Use an electric mixer to beat the whipping cream until it forms high peaks and is whipped. Don’t over whip, it will turn into a butter like consistency!
Keep chilled until ready to use.
Now that you’ve prepared everything, it’s time to assemble your cake…
- Cut your cake in half and put some of the strawberry compote on both halves.
- Put some of the whipped cream on one half and add the diced strawberries on top.
- Place the second half of the cake over the one with the toppings. Add more of the compote, whipped cream and sliced strawberries.
Enjoy & happy baking!